But at the same time, it's in these journals best interests to facilitate easier access to these programs to the general public, as it would definitely increase their viewing (and therefore their advertising revenues) and also their subscription rates.
4) Improving Research and Development From an Economic Standpoint:
This article (http://www.jci.org/articles/view/29999) talks about problems in drug development, research and innovation. I chose to look at the pharmaceutical industry not only because I'm interested in it and am writing an awesome blog post on it soon (subscribe or follow me on Facebook to see that when I finish it) but because drug development is based ALMOST SOLELY on R&D and hence is a perfect example of improvements to all innovation. The suggestions I make to improve R&D for drug companies applies to each and every research industry though, from drugs, to IT innovation to green energy research.
For some context, the major problems faced by drug development is related to the rules and regulations in place, and the nature of the whole industry, which makes it an expensive, risky one. It costs 200million to fund a drug through trials, with only a 6% chance of it even getting approved, and to make up for all the losses you made on the other 94%, it's estimated that developing only ONE drug costs $4 - 11billion (and takes 10 - 15 years too). All costs you have to recover.
Getting funding the first place
The best managers, and CEOs are those who understand their industry, or can learn about them. This article suggests that many researchers simply aren't able to at the moment. Again, education by the sometimes apathetic researchers, or self education by these managers needs to be fostered. The latter can be done by those measures I suggested above that makes more understandable to those who may just be laymen.
5) The Internet, Spreading Ideas worth sharing:
Social media is exciting in this, with researchers, and scientists being able to connect with eachother more easily than ever before. Facebook pages like "I F*cking Love Science", where interesting research is provided, in easy to understand language (as well as providing links to the actual studies, encouraging further learning) have taken off, and the comments on these pages, and their sites, are not only funny, but also insightful, and suggest possible further developments.
Youtube is even more exciting, with ideas being spread more interactively than ever before. There are channels like Healthcare Triage, which educates regular people on how medicines and medical industries works, SciShow which gives information on recent discoveries and their possible implications and hundreds of others which educates people on discoveries and developments in a whole variety of fields.
The most exciting of these, by far, is TED talks. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design, and their motto is the title of this section : IDEAS WORTH SHARING. Speakers from all kinds of fields, ranging from arts to robotics to medicine to psychology, have 18 minutes to talk about new ways of looking at things, new developments in their fields and new inventions or ideas, and TEDx is a smaller scale version of that where people can talk, in that TED style about their own inventions. Indeed, TED talks is where I learnt about Deborah Rhodes and her amazing new technology, and I really recommend you watch a few videos when you can. They're not only interesting in their content, but funny and inspiring too.
There are many ways of sharing information these days, and the best thing about all the sources I mentioned above is that they not only inform us of new research and innovation, but also educate us, in easy to understand terms, what these inventions COULD MEAN.
This involvement and education is something that isn't seen as often outside of the internet though.
6) My Ideology - Always Look At The Big Picture
And Always Think of Solutions to Problems.Even with these new ways of spreading ideas, not everyone has that innovating mentality. Whenever I read an article, whenever I see something on the news, I immediately think of all the possible implications, from whatever angle I possibly can. More importantly, when I read about something such as horrific news stories of crimes, recent discoveries on the structure of our earth's crust and new understandings on how cancers work, I don't just read into the problems or information they convey - I think of ways to improve, or learn from them.
I'll also be doing one on charity - using the "ideologies" i talked about above to show how third world development can be achieved, and why it should be considered a priority here - not just for the emotional reasons and "warm fuzzy feeling it gives" but also because development of everyone helps everyone. Hopefully it will be very interesting - do subscribe or follow me on Facebook (you must be sick of me saying this) to make sure you see them!
Steven H Wolf, "The 2009 Breast Cancer Screening Recommendations of the US Preventative Services Task Force", JAMA. 2010;303(2):162-163 (doi:10.1001/jama.2009.1989),