Sunday, July 20, 2014

7 Great UMAT Tips That You Probably Haven't Heard Before

Last post:                                     My Story:                                         Next One

This was pretty much a copy-pasted conversation I had with a friend asking for UMAT tips, so sorry if it's not that well worded. I figured I'd put up one of these so I wouldn't have to do them individually any more and to help you guys out =P

For those who don't know, the UMAT is a challenging pre-medical test every prospective doctor needs to sit in Australia and New Zealand. In most universities, it is a major consideration for gaining an interview and a seat in medicine. Unlike other requirements, such as good performance in final-year-school or university exams, it's not necessarily based so much on knowledge as it is on non verbal and verbal problem solving skills and empathy. This is the official site which outlines the exam and basic preparation for them: http://umat.acer.edu.au/prepare/preparation-strategy

Basically - there are 3 styles of questions - "Section 1" (yes, I know there's no more sections but they're still based and marked on similar concepts) questions give a passage of writing on a random topic or a logical assumption and then ask you to make logical assertions of it . "Section 2" questions give passages about a few characters and ask you to make judgements on people's character, emotions and responses. And "Section 3" questions test your non-verbal reasoning and give you patterns and ask you to pick the option most likely to be next in the pattern, which one should be in the middle or which one is missing. The hardest thing about the exam though is arguably the time factor. It's a 3 hour test but filled with long passages and challenging questions.

This post will not be focused on the best tips to tackle individual questions; there are many programs and blogs designed to help you on that topic, but rather on general tips, exam taking strategy and techniques that will help you in the exam.
In long passages, which come up heaps in section 1 and 2:

1) - Have a look at the questions before you read the passage so you understand what you need for and then underline bits that will be, or seem important as you go along (so you can refer back to them later on). This is one of the best tips I can give, because it saves you so much time when compared to you effectively having to re-read the whole passage as you look for one or two key points.  People say that you should skim read and stuff like that - me - I make sure I understand everything that needs to be understood before moving on (I figure instead of skimming through and having to reread a passage, it makes more sense to just do it once and do it well)

2) - Don't be afraid to skip or make educated guesses on questions. The UMAT is time intensive - so once you get a good guess or narrow it down to 1 that seems likely, don't spend too long worrying about if it's wrong or right - just move on.

3) - With section 3 style questions - there're different questions with patterns. Narrow it down systematically, as you can for most of them, then it becomes easy. For eg - "pick the middle" or "pick the 'x'th"  ones where they give you 5 options, 3 will have a similar pattern, meaning 1 of those is the end, 1 is the beginning and 1 must be the middle. Narrow it down from there, pick the most likely of them after that and move on. You can check if they're right if you have time at the end of the exam.

4) - Section 2 type questions - know the key vocab vocab. That was my worst, not because I couldn't empathise with the characters' feelings and situations, but because for some of them, I just didn't know what a word like "indignant" or "beatific" really meant haha. So get delectable, despondent, those kinds of words through your head and make sure you understand some of the common words that come up.

5) - Also for section 2 - think like a doctor would think. Think about why they have section 2 style questions. They set questions that try and judge how you respond to the world, and they want doctors who are empathetic, who understand, who aren't judgmental. Good people see good in others. So if there's 2 options which seem similar but one is a more severe, or more evil reaction to a situation, pick the one which makes the persons actions seem somewhat reasonable. So don't pick "jealous" or "angry" or "contempt" pick "reluctant gratitude", "despondent" or "disappointed." unless it really seems like it is just that for the character or subject they're talking about. For eg if the question was"how did I feel after the fish came off the line" you wouldn't say "Pissed the f*#* off" or "angry" you'd say something less severe like "disappointed". A bit of an extreme example and one that may seem ludicrous ('cause if you know me, you know I get really, REALLY MAD when I miss a fish), but the message is the same.

Those are the major "test taking skills" I used when I sat them. Remember, the tests aren't the same as when I did them - the "section" style questions are mixed around, but that's okay - it means you won't be as pressured for time and that if you're good at one section compared to another, you'll get more time to focus on your weaker styles of questions or more time to go back and check!

6) - But the best thing I did - I didn't really do that much practice or that many practice papers - was I read in my spare time. A LOT. And I read widely too. And that made my reading speed, empathy and basic comprehension pretty damn good - perfect for a test like this. 
I'd always be reading a good novel before I slept - it was a habit, I needed to before I slept. On top of that, I read things like TIME magazine, science/technical journals. it's even easier to do it nowadays, and it's not a chore at all - a lot of the things you can read are really interesting. The I Fucking LoveScience FacebookWeb page is a good place to start - it has a great science blog where it talks about recent advancements, which are all interesting and fun to read. All of this makes comprehension/ reading speed go up, and also gives random pieces of knowledge to you, which who knows, may just get you more marks. That's exactly what you want in this kind of test!

I guess those are some of my best tips for the actual UMAT - that's what I did and ended up doing pretty well, even though I really didn't prepare for it too well (I was in the 98th percentile, with an overall score of around 200, though I can't remember exactly). 

7) But the best tip I can give is a simple one. Don't stress or panic. I talk about it in detail in this blog post I wrote not too long ago. I talked about stress and how it makes you perform worse... not just for tests like this, but for life in general - and - more importantly - I talked about how to deal with it. Stress, worry and panic won't help you on the day.
- If you go in thinking "OMG this is life or death!", "what if I forget stuff?" or "I'm not gonna do well!" you doom yourself to panicking, having mini-breakdowns in the test, a confused overworked mind and just feeling bad about yourself, which all lead to you being more likely to fail. If you instead go in on the day thinking "well, I've done what I can, all I gotta do is give that damn test" you'll do yourself a great service. If it's hard to see that in the day, the best advice I can give is to take a step back and look at the second, more constructive attitude you can take going into the exam.

Instead of thinking about what there is to lose, think about what you have to GAIN - the chance to make your career one where you spend every day of your life helping others, while doing well for yourself too. THAT'S how you'll give yourself the best chance of making it.


GOOD LUCK! Feel free to ask for more tips, advice, or your own tips. And feel free to splurge or vent and I'll try and help you feel better about yourself!

8 comments:

  1. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for Herpes or any cure for herpes,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how dr Ero prepare herbal medicine that cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the pills the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email:(dreroherbaltreatment@gmail.com) whatsapp him with +2348073673757 or text/call me (270) 693-5854....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to the whole world viewers on here,Join me give thanks to Dr porosky for his Divine help on my life. 1years ago i was diagnosed of Herpes Disease, and ever since i have been looking for a remedy on how to eradicate my disease. so i went in search for a cure and behold i came in contact with my famous Dr porosky who has cured people of their Herpes Disease, i was so glad that finally i can be cured from this disturbing disease and so i contacted his email adrress Drporoskysolutioncentre@gmail.com and when i did email him he wrote to me and give me a brief instruction on how to get my medicine prepared and so he did he prepare my medicine and sent to me to receive and told me that in 2 weeks i will see his great work.i beckoned on his words and so he did.i received my medicine and i used it in 2 weeks and i was totally cured. contact him today and be cured. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness disease, HERPES CURE,email: Drporoskysolutioncentre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Content, Superhigh-quality and keep it up :)

    Energy Market Tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick Cure I will advice you to contact Dr Chukwu madu herbal home [ dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com ) where all problems are solve without stress and delay. My family was getting drawn in sickness, we were all affected one after the other and medical prescription was not helping us. Till a friends doctor direct us to contact Dr.Chukwu madu for quick cure and total cleaning. Dr .Chukwu madu is a miracle worker. It is never too late with Dr CHUKWU MADU HERABL HOME contact him today with { dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com } you can also contact him on Whatsapp +2347030936239, 
    He also Cure
    1) HIV/AIDs Virus
    2) Hepatitis B and C
    3) Herpes
    4) Cancer
    5) ZIKA VIRUS
    6) COPD
    7) STROKE.
    8) Erectile Dysfunction
    9) Trichomoniasis
    10) Chlaydia
    11) Gonorrhea
    12) HPV
    13) Syphilis  
    14) Corona Virus

    ReplyDelete
  8. outbound call center services indiaFebruary 15, 2022 at 3:39 PM

    Brilliant desings, I personaly like the one with the slide on the side.
    outbound call center services india

    ReplyDelete

It's your turn!
What are your thoughts? Any similar experiences? Want to talk about something?